This Vegan Cacio e Pepe with Ramps and Lemon is full of flavor and easy to make! It has a peppery bite, a zing of lemon, and a mild onion flavor and makes a perfect Springtime pasta dish! YUM!
The first time I had Cacio e Pepe was in Boston, MA, for a business trip. At this small Italian restaurant, the waiter recommended it as it was the best pasta they served. Reluctantly, after taking my first bite, my mouth filled with heat from the spice and a delicious, creamy, and cheesy flavor. I could not stop eating it.
Since I love experimenting with plant-based foods at home, I decided to work on my own iteration. My first attempt lacked the “creamy” flavor of the cheese. So, I sought out other ingredients to make this dish pop, and I found a winning pair: ramps & lemon.
What I love about this delicious Springtime pasta, even though there is no “creaminess” per se, it’s the flavor. It has a peppery bite, a zing of lemon, and a mild onion flavor.
Vegan Cacio e Pepe with Ramps & Lemon Ingredients:
- Bucatini pasta – hands-down best noodle because they have a hole in the middle that soaks up more sauce. Mmm.
- Vegan butter (or sub unsalted butter if not vegan)
- Ramps – Adds a combination of garlicky and oniony flavors.
- Lemon Juice and Zest – Adds a nice zing with the black pepper and ramps.
- Black Pepper – Adds that spicy flavor.
- Cashew Parmesan – Give this vegan dish that “cheesy-like” flavor.
Adding the Cashew Parmesan is completely optional, so if you don’t have any on hand or the ingredients to make it, you will still enjoy this flavorful dish. If you happen to have arugula, toss some into this dish to add an extra peppery bite.
I hope you all enjoy this flavorful dish: it’s simple to make, requires only 6-ingredients, and makes a perfect pasta dish for the Springtime when all the wild ramps are in season. ♥
If you make this recipe, please share feedback and leave a rating (below). This helps our readers and us. – Thanks! xx Jake & TraceyPrint
This post contains affiliate links.