Easy plant-based Sloppy Joes made with natural ingredients and packed with Spelt Berries for texture and Lentils for protein!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup spelt berries (cooked *)
- 1/2 cup green lentils (cooked *)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 red bell pepper (diced (sub orange or yellow))
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 sweet onion (diced)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp celery seeds
- 1/2 tsp black pepper + more to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt + more to taste
- 1, 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp turbinado sugar
- Vegan-friendly hamburger buns
- Sprouts (I used sunflower)
- Add olive oil to a medium-size pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the diced onions, bell peppers, and celery.
- Season with chili powder, sweet paprika, celery seed, and salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, cooked lentils and spelt berries, and sugar, and mix. Reduce heat to low-medium, and let the sauce simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken up, which is what you want.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of the sloppy joe sauce on a bun, top with sprouts (optional) and enjoy!
To eliminate time: cook both the spelt berries and lentils in one pot with 2 and 1/2 cups of water over medium-high heat. Once it starts to simmer, reduce heat to warm and cover to cook for about 30 minutes, or until tender. If the lentils seem tough or dry, add additional water and continue cooking. Do not stir the lentils or spelt berries once you reduce the heat and cover.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The sauce will be more flavorful the next day!
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: New American-Inspired
Keywords: vegan sloppy joes, vegan entree meals, easy weeknight meals, sloppy joes recipes, spelt berry recipes