These Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies are easy to make, made with simple ingredients, and topped with a sweet and zesty lemon glaze. They are the perfect spring treat for lemon lovers.
- 1 + 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup room temperature butter
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Lemon Glaze Ingredients
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp mascarpone cheese or substitute cream cheese
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, room temperature butter, vanilla extract, egg, lemon juice, and zest.
- In a small bowl, toss together the flour, salt, baking powder, and poppy seeds. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold together until a dough forms. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the dough for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop out about 2 tbsp of the chilled dough. Place dough on the prepared baking sheet and repeat, leaving at least 2 inches between each dough ball.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven to cool for about 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling and adding the glaze.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and room temperature mascarpone cheese in a small bowl.
- Spoon about 1-2 tsp of glaze on top of each cookie before enjoying!
Keep: Let the glaze harden before transferring them to an airtight glass container. Store at room temperature for about 5 days.
To freeze the dough: Roll the dough into a log in plastic wrap and place them in the freezer for 30 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and transfer it to a freezer-safe bag for up to 3-months. Thaw dough in the refrigerator the night before and slice the dough into cookies, and bake!
- Category: Sweets
- Method: Baking
Keywords: cookies, lemon, lemon cookies, poppy seed, lemon poppy seed cookies, vegetarian, Spring cookies