A hearty and warming vegetarian chili made in 40 minutes from the Instant Pot!
- 1 cup kidney beans (pre-soaked (or, sub 1, 15 oz can)
- 1 cup pinto beans (pre-soaked (or, sub 1, 15 oz can)
- 2 bell peppers (diced)
- 1 white onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (diced)
- 5 celery stalks (diced (1 cup))
- 1, 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1, 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 tbsp can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder (or sub more chili powder)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups filtered water, or sub vegetable broth for more flavor
- 5 tbsp avocado oil
- fresh lime juice
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Prepare all ingredients by dicing and mincing the vegetables (bell peppers, onion, celery, and garlic).
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot and mix; then drizzle the avocado oil on top (Don’t mix the oil). (** see notes for canned/pre-soaked beans)
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. Release the steam valve before opening it carefully. Cool slightly before serving.
Stove Top Instructions:
- Add the oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the vegetables (bell peppers, celery, onion, and garlic) with the spices for about 10 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato pureé, water (or sub vegetable broth), canned beans (** see notes for pre-soaked beans) to the pot and reduce heat to low-medium. Simmer, occasionally mixing for about 20 minutes until the sauce is thick and the vegetables are tender.
Dried Beans Option: Use 1/2 cup dried beans, cover with water, and soak overnight, about 8-hours. Drain and rinse beans before putting them in the Instant Pot.
** If cooking on the stovetop, time will vary until the beans are tender (about 2-2.5 hours).
Canned Beans Option: Use 1 can, drain the liquid, and rinse the beans before adding to the Instant Pot.
** If using the Instant Pot, add the beans to the pot after the vegetables and the sauce is cooked. Pressure Cook on high for 12 minutes instead of 30 with soaked beans.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican-Inspired
Keywords: instant pot chili, vegetarian chili, vegan chili, instant pot vegan chili, instant pot vegetarian chili