This Homemade Refried Pinto Beans recipe is simple, smoky, flavorful, and delicious! Perfect for snacking or a great addition to meals!
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 1/4 cup cooking liquid or filtered water
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion (about 1/4 or 1/2 onion, depending on size)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil (or, omit if oil-free)
- lime juice
- Dice the sweet onions into small pieces (I used my chopper) until 1/2 cup is filled, and mince the garlic.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil (or omit if oil-free) to a small sauce over medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the pinto beans, cooking liquid (if using canned, sub with filtered water (see note*)), and the spices (cumin, chili powder, chipotle powder, salt, and pepper). Mix and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon (or, by using a masher), press the pinto beans to mash together. Mix and continue mashing the beans until desired consistency. If the mixture is too dry, add more water, 1 tbsp at a time.
- Remove from heat to cool and top with cilantro and lime juice (optional) and serve immediately. Leftovers to be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for later use.
I used my favorite chopper to get small pieces of the onion in this recipe.
- Category: Sides, Snacks
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican-Inspired
Keywords: homemade refined beans, refined pinto beans, pinto beans, homemade beans, instant pot beans