This perfectly Grilled BBQ Chicken Breast is easy to make, tender, moist, juicy, and super flavorful. Either grill outdoors or indoors; whichever way you make it, you will have delicious barbecue-flavored chicken on your dinner table!
Marinating the chicken takes 20 minutes, which gives you time to prepare your sides. Some of our favorites include a salad, mashed sweet potatoes, or baked beans.
What we love about this barbecue chicken recipe is the flavor. The marinade is so good; you won’t need extra BBQ sauce to add to the final masterpiece. You might be surprised to find out that you have all the ingredients in your pantry/fridge too!
The ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Chicken Breast – We get our chicken from Butcher Box, a meat subscription box, and they come frozen, and we thaw the frozen chicken at room temperature on a plate or bowl or in the refrigerator overnight. To speed up the cooking time, we slice the chicken breast in half (lengthwise) to make two thin cutlets. They’ll cook in half the time.
- Spices: Chili Powder, Smoked Paprika, Oregano, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Mustard Seeds, Salt, and Pepper.
- Brown Mustard – We like using Primal Kitchen’s Spicy Brown Mustard. It has a nice flavor, and it’s not too spicy.
- Tomato Paste – Adds a nice tomato flavor.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Honey – Adds a nice sweet flavor to the chicken.
- Olive Oil
How to make Grilled BBQ Chicken:
Step 1: Make the BBQ Marinade: To a small bowl, add the spices, mustard, honey, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and tomato paste. Mix until combined.
Step 2: Prepare Chicken Breast. Thaw, rinse, pat dry, and slice into cutlets. Rub the marinade all over the chicken breasts. Cover with plastic wrap and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
Step 3: Grill the BBQ Chicken Breast: On the stovetop, turn heat to medium and brush a tablespoon of oil on the grill pan. Once hot, add the marinated chicken breast. Cover with a lid and cook for about 5 -7 minutes. Using tongs, carefully lift the chicken breast and flip it to the other side to continue cooking for 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked but not overcooked. If using an outdoor grill, turn the grill to 450 degrees and place the chicken breasts on the hot grill. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes or until they easily release from the grates. Carefully flip the chicken and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the chicken breasts are firm, registering at 160 degrees F inside.
Frequently Asked Questions:
While it’s best when fresh; leftovers can stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven. We like to add BBQ sauce before reheating to add extra flavor.
1. Thawing frozen pre-cooked wings can take 8 hours at room temperature or 12 hours in the fridge.
2. Prepping Chicken and Making the Marinade – It took us about 5 minutes.
3. Marinate for at least 20 minutes before grilling.
4. Grilling – It took us about 15 minutes to grill over medium heat. Reminder – If you do not cut the breast into cutlets, the cooking time will be longer.
There are 225 calories in Grilled Chicken.
This is a Bariatric Friendly Recipe. We recommend cutting the chicken into small pieces and in small quantities.
This Grilled BBQ Chicken recipe is juicy, tender, and packed with a ton of flavor! We served ours with mashed sweet potatoes and added some chopped parsley. We hope you all love the recipe as much as we do. Enjoy! ♡
If you love this recipe, try one of these healthy chicken recipes next:
If you make this recipe, please share feedback and leave a rating (below). This helps our readers and us. – Thanks! xx Jake & TraceyPrint
This post contains affiliate links.