These Mini Calzones are easy to make, full of flavor, and make a great weeknight meal! They are fun to make and requires minimal effort! They are fun to make with the family, and everyone can make their own! Make veggie calzones, meat calzones, cheese calzones, or add everything to make the perfect calzone.
What we love about these calzones is how easy they are and how delicious they are! Y’all are going to love these calzones!
Ingredients for making homemade calzones:
- Pizza dough – We love using our 72-hour pizza dough recipe for our homemade calzones. One ingredient that makes these super tasty and flavorful is the Olive oil that’s infused into the dough. SO GOOD.
- Marinara Sauce – We love using our homemade marinara sauce because it has the perfect spice and flavor. We also use it as a dipping sauce too!
- Filling Ingredients besides marinara: sweet peppers, spinach, pepperoni, mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, smoked mozzarella cheese, and basil. Basically, use your favorite pizza toppings.
- Parmesan Cheese – This adds a nice flavor to the top of the calzones.
Steps to making mini calzones:
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 500 – 550 degrees F or at the highest setting your oven can get. Prep all filling ingredients and cut pizza dough into small pieces as shown on picture 2 noted above.
Step 2: Add dough to a floured surface and use your hands or a rolling pin to roll the dough out to about 1-inch thick.
Step 3: Add about a spoonful of marinara sauce and spread it across the dough, leaving the edges untouched.
Step 4: Add your fillings on top of the sauce and carefully grab one end of the dough and drag it across to connect with the other side.
Step 5: As shown in picture 2, noted below, carefully grab the dough’s bottom, slide it over on top, and connect the sides by pinching the dough together.
Step 6: Transfer the dough to a baking sheet with parchment paper, or a pizza peel with parchment paper on top.
Step 7: Make 2-3 small slits on top of the dough to help with the release of air and season with a generous amount of parmesan cheese on top.
Step 8: Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven to cool for about 5 minutes before serving. We love to serve these with the marinara sauce too!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Prep: 10 minutes prep all the ingredients. If making homemade marinara, this step could take 10-20 minutes, depending on the sauce you make. We recommend using our homemade marinara sauce but tripling the ingredients to get enough marinara for the calzones and dipping.
Bake: The calzones take about 12-15 minutes to bake, depends on the size.
Total: 25 minutes
Store calzones in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. We recommend reheating calzones on the stovetop with olive oil in the pan. It makes the bottom crispy and makes calzones the next day more enjoyable to eat.
Because these calzones could be veggie-based, or meat-based, or a mixture, we recommend selecting a bottle of Red wine, such as a Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, or Merlot.
These mini calzones are super easy to make and perfect to make with family and friends. Everyone can make their own calzones. We hope you all enjoy them! ♡
Love our pizza recipes? Be sure to check out some of our other favorites:
- The best homemade meatball pizza
- Roasted butternut squash, chicken, and caramelized onion pizza
- Everything bagel Margherita pizza
If you make this recipe, please share feedback and leave a rating (below). This helps our readers and us. – Thanks! xx Jake & TraceyPrint
This post contains affiliate links.