This Green Chili Chicken Soup recipe is easy to make, packed with protein, and full of flavor. Make it ahead, freeze it for quick weeknight meals, make it via slow cooker, or make it on the stovetop. Whichever way you make this soup, it will turn out delicious!
I love this easy Mexican-inspired Green Chili Chicken Soup because of its bright, vibrant orange color, its satisfying flavors, and because it’s packed with tons of protein!
Green Chicken Chili Ingredients & Substitutes:
- Avocado Oil, or Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Shredded chicken, or leave out if vegetarian
- White Beans such as Great Northern Beans – These beans are super flavorful, and when you puree them in this soup, it makes a creamy soup texture!
- White onion, or sub red onion
- Jalapeño with or without the seeds – up to you. We opted without the seeds in the soup to control the spiciness.
- Can of Green Chili
- Chicken Broth, or sub Vegetable Broth if Vegetarian and not adding chicken.
- Lime Juice (fresh)
- Spices: Smoked Paprika, Sweet Paprika, Chili Powder, Cumin, Oregano, Salt, Black Pepper, and Dried Bay Leaves
- Toppings: Sour Cream, Cilantro, Green Onions, Hot Sauce, Avocado, and Cotija Cheese
We love to pair this soup with either a glass of Merlot or with a Margarita. Our go-to Margarita lately has been the On The Rocks Margarita Premium Cocktail. It’s super delicious, easy (hello, pre-made), and made with simple ingredients.
Tips for making this recipe:
Either make this ahead, freeze and save for a quick and easy weekday meal. Or, make in the slow cooker on low heat for 6 hours. Or, make the same-day on the stove-top with cooked white beans. When I have more time in the kitchen, I will cook fresh beans in our pressure cooker to add to this recipe. For the slow cooker, I add soaked dried beans to the recipe. If you are rushing on time to cook dinner, use canned beans. Whichever way you go, this recipe will turn out delicious. I sauté the chicken in the same pot as the soup to avoid additional cleaning. Plus, the brown bits on the bottom of the pan add a ton of flavor to the soup!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until hot. We prefer leftovers because the flavors develop more overnight.
This is truly a delicious chicken chili verde soup (without salsa verde)! It’s full of flavor, packed with tons of protein, and super delicious. We hope you all enjoy it! ♡
If you love this recipe, try one of these delicious chili or soup recipes next:
If you make this recipe, please share feedback and leave a rating (below). This helps our readers and us. – Thanks! xx Jake & TraceyPrint
This post contains affiliate links.