These 1-bowl Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are rich, moist, and decadent; aka, the perfect chocolatey treat for breakfast or dessert!
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed + 2 tablespoons water)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted (not hot))
- 3/4 cup cane sugar (turbinado)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (vegan: Lilys)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and mix 1 tablespoon of flaxseed with two tablespoons of water in a bowl; sit for 5 minutes until thick like paste.
- To the same bowl, mix in the sugar, pumpkin purée, melted coconut oil, and the vanilla extract using a whisk.
- Sift in the cacao powder and flour to remove any lumps. Next, add the baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix by using a spatula until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips and divide the batter into the muffin tins, filling closely to the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for a couple of minutes in the muffin tins before removing to cool on a rack.
Keep muffins covered at room temperature for 3-4 days.
** double recipe to make 12 muffins **